Thursday, December 30, 2010

Holiday Happenings

We were very busy in the days leading up to Christmas with the typical hustle and bustle of the holiday season.  Mark & I started a new tradition where Kai will choose a toy to donate every year to Toys for Tots.  Because I'm a flake, we missed the donation deadline for all of the drop-off locations, so Kai & I ended up taking our toy directly to the Toys for Tots warehouse.  I was actually happy we did this because we got to see some of the volunteer workers in action at the warehouse, and Kai was thanked personally by two of the workers.  We also got to see some of the families coming to pick up toys to give to their children.  It was nice to see this bit of the Toys for Tots organization behind the scenes.  This year Kai was a little bit too young to pick a toy on his own, so Mark & I helped him.  We ended up selecting this toy that we hope will make a child in our community very happy:

We chose a toy Kai loves -- Mega Bloks!

Kai & I also decorated a gingerbread house together.  I wasn't quite sure how this would go, but after sampling a few mouthfuls of "glue", Kai soon realized that it was also fun to stick pieces of candy into the big mounds of frosting.  Although it probably wouldn't pass a home inspection, I think our house looks pretty good!

Mom & Kai working hard

Stealing a taste

Placing the candy -- check out those fine motor skills!

Our house!

This year, to keep Kai (and the tree) out of harm's way, we put our Christmas tree in the living room, a.k.a. the "Kai free zone".  Kai's favorite part of the tree is the lights.  He loves to point at them and touch the different colors.  This time around he was only semi-interested in the presents under the tree, but we fully expect that to change over the years! 

Checking out the lights

We got this ornament in Korea

This one's from Korea too

Sneaking a peek at the presents

Me and my tree!

Two days before Christmas, my brother and I took Kai up to visit my Dad's grave.  This was one of my Dad's traditions -- he would put flowers on his parents' grave every Christmas.  In more recent years he would also put flowers on my Mom's grave.  Last year was the first Christmas without my Dad, and I went by myself to visit his grave during the holidays.  This year my brother and Kai went with me.  It was an emotional visit, but an important one to me and my brother, and it was special to bring Kai with us.  This year I'm better able to remember my Dad at Christmastime with happiness instead of sadness.  I still miss him terribly, but know that he is smiling down at me, and as one of his dear friends wrote to me this holiday season, we know that he would be in his glory upon seeing us with Kai.  Merry Christmas, Dad!!! 

1 comment:

Grams said...

There is a lot of love and joy in seeing how both of you are creating your first Christmas with Kai as a family. I feel so touched by your visit with Kai to Toys for Tots, and knowing that not only are your creating memories with him, but the priceless experience of giving and sharing. I am so blessed to see the wonderful and loving parents that you are! Much Love, Grams xo