This year we celebrated our first Thanksgiving holiday as a family of three. Kai was busy having fun and soaking in the new experiences. On Wednesday he had a fun play date where he saw lots of toys to play with and stairs to climb on. While the kids were playing, I enjoyed sharing coffee and some adult conversation with another mom who is adopting from Korea. Later that day, a fence company came out and added side gates to finish off our fence and fully enclose our backyard. Yes, this is an attempt to rein the lad in, so now he can't go trotting into the front yard (and street)! In the evening we went to Aunt Kate's house to have Thanksgiving Eve dinner with family and friends, where Kai enjoyed hamming it up in front of a large audience.
On Thursday we celebrated a quiet Thanksgiving at home. I was very excited to introduce Kai to the traditions of Thanksgiving. Mark thought it was a little silly to break out the good china and eat on the big dining room table for just the three of us, but I insisted. It's part of the tradition, and besides, when else do I get to dust all that stuff off?! I spent the day preparing the meal, while Mark took Kai over to visit with friends and see Grandpop and Bubbe again. When they got home, we ate dinner and Kai sampled a little bit of everything. After we got Kai bathed and put to bed, Mark & I enjoyed some quiet time with wine & dessert -- now that's something to be thankful for! I missed seeing my sisters and their families for Thanksgiving this year, but can't wait to see them at Christmastime.
 |
| With Bubbe & Aunt Kate |
 |
| Not used to being up this high! |
 |
| Having fun with Bubbe |
 |
| Watching the Macy's parade on tv |
 |
| Practicing the post-dinner lying on the couch skills |
 |
| Ready to eat |
 |
| Sampling the stuffing |
 |
| The centerpiece was made with leaves Kai collected from the backyard |
We have much to celebrate and be thankful for this year. Most of all we are happy, relieved and grateful that Kai is finally home with us. To all of my friends who are still waiting for their babies to come home from Korea, my thoughts are with you during this holiday.
4 comments:
It is wonderful for you to celebrate your first Thanksgiving with Kai, introducing him to all festivities and traditions (china and stuffing)! I love how you have captured it! XOXOXXX
Love the sweet idea with your centerpiece! Glad I checked your blog to catch up! Miss him!
That sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving and Kai made a very nice centerpiece.
Just checked out your blog, your son is darling! and you got your referral on our family day, when we were picking up Parker!
Post a Comment