As we've continued to settle into life as a family of three, there's been both good and bad. First the bad... Kai has had a cold, a rash on his back, and has sprouted three new teeth in the short two weeks he's been home. Teething translates to lots of fussiness and trouble sleeping. We saw our IAP for our first scheduled visit and Kai checked out fine, but the bloodwork was traumatic (for Kai and for Mark, who had to hold him down while the nurses poked around for a good vein).
Now for the good... Mark & I are actually sleeping in a bed now (no longer on the floor) and Kai has slept through the night in his crib several times, although not consistently yet. Oh the difference sleep makes, even if it's only a few hours a night. The aches and pains from sleeping on the floor are pretty much gone, although I think I may have bruised a rib putting Kai down in his crib the other night (one of the downsides of being short). So I just exchange one pain for another, but that's parenthood, right? Kai is a great eater and is at least willing to try just about anything. His favorite food so far is his Aunt Kate's matzah ball soup!
Another good thing is having a wonderful husband. Knowing I'd been struggling the first week home, Mark surprised me with a few hours away from the house for a facial, manicure & pedicure. Our good friends Rob & Theresa were in on the plot -- Theresa took me to the spa while Rob stayed with Mark & Kai for a day of football and male bonding. My day of relaxation and pampering did wonders, and now I look slightly less ragged than before!
We think Kai's transition home is pretty much on track. Some days are better than others. We're keeping his world as small and as calm as possible, and settling into a daily routine. All of the change is very confusing for him at this point, so we try to keep visits short and limit his interactions with other people. It will take some time for Kai to learn that Mark & I are his parents -- knowing it in his head is one thing, but feeling it in his heart is quite another.
Here are some more pictures of our little kiddo:
 |
| Playing trains |
 |
| What's in this stuff, anyway? |
 |
| Visit from Aunt Kate & Cousin Lily |
 |
| Love my Aunt Kate |
 |
| Visit from Grandpop & Bubbe |
 |
| Playing ball |
 |
| Redskins fan |
 |
| I love the backyard! |
4 comments:
Oh!!!! How I love the pix, and so much fun to see Kai with his auntie and cousin and grandparents! :0) Kai looks so happy and content, and I'm glad that Mom and Dad are getting more sleep, sports and spa txs! Hugs and Kisses to ALL...Grams
so sweet! i love these pictures, especially the one with him in your lap! he is adorable!
I am so Happy he likes the soup Maybe Ill make some More Next week ! Love that the McNabb T - shirt Fits ! LOVE THE LAST PIC ! TOO CUTE little dude !
We can't get enough of him - he's just beautiful! You were right - what an incredible picture of him in the backyard! THANK YOU for spending some time with us this afternoon : ) You guys are doing an amazing job as parents!
Post a Comment