Sunday, July 24, 2011

Blocks

I love when Kai rediscovers a toy we've had for a long time, and starts to use it in new and more interesting ways.  We received these Ikea blocks as a gift from a friend before Kai came home last year, and only recently has he really started to play with them in creative ways.  The first day he just lined them up, the next day he made a fancier design, and then the next he started stacking them, which was much more difficult than with the standard square blocks he used to play with.  He had gotten away from playing with blocks for a while, that is until he realized that they make good platforms, buildings and fortresses for his trains!


My early work -- this was my "linear" phase

More advanced work -- this was my "edibles" phase (note the use of a plastic hot dog in the middle)

Getting quite sophisticated here -- using my balancing techniques

Sometimes I like to return to basics -- Mega Blocks

I still love a good Mega Tower

The best place for Mega Blocks is in the middle of a train layout!

3 comments:

Min said...

The mega-blocks train is awesome! You have a future engineer on your hands :)

Megan said...

Love it! Very funny about his phases :)

Grams said...

The usual WOW!!! I think my favorite is the "Megatropolis With Train". XO